The story of Hannah is one I find myself thinking about often. I have memories of being enthralled with her story as a wee child. As I found myself back in 1 Samuel again a few months ago, I uncovered some new lessons learned from Hannah, and naturally wanted to share them...
Hannah cried out to God desperate for a son. She was troubled, so she poured out her soul to the LORD (1 Samuel 1:15). Also, after talking to God her appetite came back, and her "face was no longer downcast" (vs 18). Then, she arose and worshiped the LORD the next morning (vs 19) BEFORE she was blessed with a son. She had God. He was enough. The beauty of the story is that "the LORD remembered her"(vs 19) and blessed her with Samuel whose name means "heard by God". Yet, when God remembered her, she did not forget God. She kept her promise and gave her son Samuel back to God. Her prayer in 1 Samuel 2 reflects Hannah's fulfilled heart. Here are the first few verses:
"1 My heart rejoices in the LORD;
in the LORD my horn is lifted high.
2 My mouth boasts over my enemies,
for I delight in your deliverance.
3 There is no one holy like the LORD;
there is no one besides you;
there is no Rock like our God."
Here are two of the main things I learned:
First, Hannah did not delight in Samuel. Her delight was in God. I know I'm guilty of NOT being satisfied when God doesn't give me something I've asked Him for. Then, once blessed with whatever I want, it's easy to place my satisfaction in the blessing instead of the God Who gave the gift. Hannah was the opposite of that. She was first satisfied in God, and that's where she remained. The gift of Samuel seemed only to make her love God more.
Second, Hannah allowed God to be her strength. In 1 Samuel 2:1, she says "...in the LORD my horn (representing strength of salvation*) is lifted high." Because of her life's struggles, Hannah knew that all she had came from God. By herself, she was not saved and she could not have a son. Through Samuel, a son, God, in a sense, redeemed her. Now, through God's Son and His work on the cross and resurrection from the dead, we have complete redemption. Later, Samuel would hear from God, become the last of the prophets of God then the first of the judges to lead the Israelites back to God. Would Samuel have been born had Hannah not been weak and surrendered completely to God? God could have used someone else. My point is that Hannah was weak, but God was strong for her in Her life. Hannah knew surrender to God meant she was strong, not in herself, but in God.**
In her willingness to be wholly satisfied and fully surrendered to Him, God used Hannah. She became a small part of His story through Scripture. I pray that as I live my life, I will be satisfied in Who God is and strengthened by His salvation in a way that will make an eternal impact on those around me. I pray that my fulfillment will be in Christ, my strength.
In His grace,
Kristy
*In the Old Testament, the horn was a symbol salvation and of Christ. A Beth Moore study pointed out to me that the ram's horn in the Old Testament was used to secure substitution (Genesis 22:13), to hold anointing oil (1 Samuel 16:13), and to lead people to victory (Joshua 6:13, 20). Beth Moore states it like this: "He (Christ) secured Himself as our sacrifice, anointed us with the Holy Spirit, and leads us to victory!"
**2 Corinthians 12:9-10 is an applicable New Testament passage that Paul wrote when considering his hardships. He states: "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
No comments:
Post a Comment