Monday, July 29, 2013

Glimpses of Glory and Grace

As a follower of Christ, this world I live in is not my home. In a way, I have a sense of hiraeth for a completion in Christ I can only imagine, but has been temporarily snatched away by my sin. It will one day be restored because of Christ's death on the cross and resurrection from death. I'm on a journey, and along my journey, I see glimpses of what my future holds that give me hope because they minister to the spiritual part of me that does not belong here. They prove to me that I have a purpose for living in this world, even if I'm simply passing through. I have looked for and seen many "glimpses" in the past few weeks, and I'd like to share some of them:

 On July 11th, the day before I left for Nashville for a few weeks,  I went to see my Grammie. She was in the last stage of Alzheimer's and would often be unresponsive, but for a moment, she was aware of my presence. I was allowed to sing to her, love on her, and know she knew I was there. As I walked out of the room, I said one last time, "Grammie, I love you." I believe 100% that if it were not for the Spirit's comfort, I would not have heard or understood what happened next. My Grammie whispered under her breath, in a very low, nearly inaudible voice, "I love you, pretty girl." That, my friends, is a glimpse of grace. Little did I know that would be the last spoken words I ever heard from her this side of Heaven.

Well, I arrived in Nashville for Fine Arts Summer Academy. One of the girls in my room had been really struggling with some things and God had graciously allowed me to be there for her. One night, she came into my room and we ended up having a conversation of hope. In the moment, I had very little idea what I was saying, but what was said ended up being exactly what she and I both needed. Again, the presence of God was real in my life, and He gave me and my friend hope for the future and next chapters of our lives. The next morning I wrote:
  • "Our worth is in Christ and is very special. We do not have to prove our worth to the world because we know it has already been proven by Christ on the cross. By making Him known, we joyfully acclaim our value to Him and put our hope in Him Who is the only One worthy of our praise."
On July 18th, I learned that the city in China my sister serves in flooded several feet. She had been sick and had just gotten home from being in the hospital for a few days, so I was already concerned about her. When I found out, I worried instead of trusting God. I told a couple of the moms at FASA, and immediately, they pulled me over and prayed for me and my sister. They faithfully asked me about her in the days to come. God knew the community I needed and provided it for me.

On July 25th, I walked on to the stage of the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. For 11 days, we had been preparing for our concert there, and by God's grace, we were ready. The music, the talent, the lives being surrendered in performance, uniting to give God glory was beautiful. The next day, I wrote about it in my journal:
  • "I've learned that when it comes to performing on a famous stage like The Grand Ole Opry, I have no greater sense of greatness because I played on that stage. Rather, performing for God's glory wherever I am gives me a sense of belonging, hope, and purpose that only being His can accomplish. It's a bright spot of hope in the midst of a long journey towards Home. For a little moment in time, I catch a glimpse of what Heaven may be like."
The final days of FASA were a blurry blessing. I was an emotional mess because I had learned my Grammie was in her last few days of life, but my FASA family was there for me. People listened, prayed, and were understanding of my need to escape and be by myself. Yesterday, July 28th, I had breakfast with a small group of faculty members. The laughter was precious and the fellowship was sweet. It was just what I needed for...well...now.

When I got home yesterday, I opened my Bible to Psalm 116 which was the Psalm allotted for me to read that day. It was exactly the hope I needed. Read it, and you should understand why.

Because my grandmother was about to pass, my sister really wanted to come home, but coming home from China is not an easy or inexpensive task. We prayed God would provide. He did. One of her friends from high school who works for Delta commented on her Facebook status asking for help. He got her a buddy pass from Hong Kong to Memphis. Now, all she needed was a ticket from her city to Hong Kong. Well, one of her college friends came by and dropped off a check, which made it possible to buy her ticket. God made a way to get her home. He's in every detail.

Yesterday evening, I went to see my Grammie for the last time. I was sick with a cold, but God preserved my voice. The song that had been resonating in my heart was, "Give me Jesus". I pulled out my cousin's guitar, and started singing. My precious Grammie in her pitiful, nearly dead state, shed one single tear. I know she heard me and that the Spirit was ministering to her. This morning, July 29th, 2013, my beautiful grandmother went to be with Jesus. She rose this morning, came to die, and was given Jesus.

Now, as I look back and see God so very present in my life, one hymn comes to mind that I am humming around home today (a habit I picked up from my Grammie). It's titled, "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus." Here are the lyrics:

  1. O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!
    • Refrain:
      Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
      Look full in His wonderful face,
      And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
      In the light of His glory and grace.
  2. Through death into life everlasting
    He passed, and we follow Him there;
    O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
    For more than conqu’rors we are!
  3. His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
    Believe Him, and all will be well:
    Then go to a world that is dying,
    His perfect salvation to tell!

If you have read this and do not know Jesus, I beg of you, please look to Him. He's a great and personal God who saves. He knows our every need and never leaves us. If you have questions, please contact me. I'll be glad to answer them to the best of my ability.

In His grace,
Kristy





No comments:

Post a Comment