Those who know me well are certain that I am quite a pensive being. I think a lot, ponder a lot, wonder a lot. Tonight, as I sat in my cushioned rocking chair in my bedroom, my deep thoughts and prayers gradually became distracted by what was around me in my bedroom. As I looked around the comfortable confines of my bedroom, I began to realize that the room itself says a lot about who I am.
1. The theme is obviously music. My room is done in black, and white with red accents. There is a music border (with Chopin's Piano Forte Polonaise printed on it for those who may be curious) mid-level, with pure white above it and sponge-painted black below it. All accents such as pillows, a rug, and curtains are a brilliant red.
2. The decor continues in the musical theme. There are plaques for singing in choirs, trophies for graduating levels in violin, a black and white violin picture, a 3-D violin puzzle, and more. Obviously, I'm a singer, a violinist. The walls continue to describe me. One poster has a violin on it leaning against a stand that has the familiar hymn "Amazing Grace" set on it. The bulletin board has Scripture on it, a picture of a precious child from Haiti, comic strips with musical themes, etc. The dresser's mirror has canvas leaning against it with the final verse of Proverbs 31 hand-painted on it. Also, the wall right above a music stand in the corner has an elegant piece of artwork. It has a black and gold frame, but what is framed is quite important. There, on a see-through paper, is Psalm 150 written in calligraphy. Behind the paper is a picture of my violin.
Praise ye the Lord.
Praise God in His sanctuary.
Praise Him for His mighty acts:
praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet,
praise Him with the psaltery and harp.
Praise Him with the timbrel and dance:
Praise Him with stringed instruments and organs.
Praise Him upon the loud cymbals:
praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let everything that hath breath praise the LORD.
Praise ye the Lord.
Psalm 150
Attached to the artwork is a blue ribbon; it must have won something. Already, simply by theme and decor, my bedroom states that I am a violinist, a singer, an artist, a Christian.
3. Other articles of note in my abode, is a large bookshelf and a desk. On the bookshelf are textbooks, journals, Bibles, a hymnal, devotional books, and other shelves of wonderful books. I must be a thinker, a lover of education, a reader.
4. However, one of the most humorous aspects about my room is its occupants. Yes, within the walls lives a violin, viola, guitar, mandolin, and keyboard. All doubts that I am a musician have been vanished.
5. Other articles to note are the Camelbak water backpack on the floor, the sleeping bag rolled up in the corner, the Colorado-bumper-sticker-covered Nalgene water bottle on the desk, the duffel bag in the closet, the Bible on the nightstand, and the Memphis Tiger hat and pom-poms. I'll let you derive your own conclusions about me from those articles.
Anyway, as I was thinking, it came to mind that all these "things" describe who I am, but do not define who I am. If my room were bare and empty, who I am would not change because Who defines me never changes. So, who am I? I am first a follower of Jesus-Christ Who defines me as His Creation, His daughter, His beauty, His beloved, His redeemed. For Him, I play music with the sole purpose of making His praise glorious. Because of Him, I am a forever student, an artist, a lover of people, a seeker of beauty. In enjoyment of Him, I spend time in the great outdoors--His creation. Yes, I am unique, I am blessed, I am God's.
No comments:
Post a Comment