Yes, it's Greek. No, I cannot speak Greek. I simply copied and pasted this beautiful word that is life-fulfilling and has now become the title of my blog. What is it? you ask. The English for this lovely word is Agape. Agape is one of four Greek words for love. The first is Storge (στοργή), or affection. The second is Philia (φιλíα), the "friendship" love. The third is Eros (Ἔρως), the "intimate" love. Finally, the last is Agape (Αγάπη), the "God love".
While rummaging through a delightful new discount Christian bookstore at the mall the other day, I discovered a treasure--C.S. Lewis' "The Four Loves" on CD for $10.95 with tax. Generally, I prefer the delight of curling up in a blanket in a comfy spot to relax and read a good book, but as a busy, school-minded, textbook drowned, commuting, college student, I have only tiny increments of time to read for pleasure during the semester. For my fellow book-lovers out there, I'm sure it can be imagined how wonderful my discovery of a classic book on CD was. Having a book on CD meant I could listen IN MY CAR on my torturous daily 30 minute commute to school. Now, not only is book on CD, but it also is read by C.S. Lewis himself in his strong British accent, and deep soothing baritone voice. Needless to day, my commutes were not quite so miserable this week. Wow. I got distracted. Frustrating commutes and books on CD is not the purpose of this blog post...
Well, C.S. Lewis built up suspense all week. Although I already had some knowledge of the four Greek words for love, I desperately wished to hear what he had to say about Agape. Throughout the week, C.S. Lewis discussed what he calls the "natural" loves, which were only three in number. The final love is not natural, but the "natural" loves without the final can hardly be considered love at all. See, the final love is the "God love," the love God has for us; the Love that God is--Agape. Agape is a love that loves not because the recipient of the love is loveable, but because from it, love flows. Agape is God, God is Love. Got it? Good. I'm moving forward.
Agape can also be developed in humans. One who has God's love can love like God loves. So, in return to God's Agape, we Agape Him back. That's where my blog title fits in. Agape: I am Passionate about Christ. I am Pure because of Christ. I am Pensive about His Truth. I am Persevering to future Glory with Him. I am Pursuing Him and His Agape daily.
I would say more about Agape, but in fear that I will say something incorrect (which I possibly could already be accurately accused of), I will simply suggest you read C.S. Lewis' book and discover the four loves yourself. It's worth the time and effort!
No comments:
Post a Comment